Team Caliente Pantalones

The uber-stellar triathletes of TeamCalientePantalones welcome you to our CrazySexyCool blog. We are balls-to-the-wall about triathlons, cross-training, camping and gear. Rockin’ it, HotPants style!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Verdict is In

The Ocho talked to physical therapist today who had just spoken with her doctor and the verdict is in....HP08 and a torn abductor. The MRI results stated, "There is a high signal inferior to the left iliac crest, commensurate with abductor muscle tearing at the attachment of the gluteus medius muscle." The following chart shows the "gluteus medius muscle" in relation to the rest of the hip. I think the chart shows a right hip, so the muscle would be on the inside.



Fig. 1.
Illustration shows normal abductor muscles and tendons in coronal section as seen through hip at level of mid greater trochanter. a = gluteus minimus muscle, b = gluteus medius muscle, c = subgluteus minimus bursa, d = subgluteus medius bursa, e = subgluteus maximus bursa, f = zona orbicularis of hip joint capsule, g = superior neck recess of hip joint, h = inferior neck recess of hip joint, i = vastus lateralis muscle, k = iliotibial band.




So, all in all, this is a good new-bad news situation. The good news is that it isn't a tumor (which they didn't tell me was a possibility really until the ruled it out) and that I won't need surgery. The bad news is that they really can't do anything for me. I have to stop all activity that irritates the muscle, mainly running, and then slowly introduce it back in to my general routine. For now, I can continue swimming and riding my bike, but if that bothers it too, I'll have to figure something else out. (It's pretty much just hurting all the time now, so I know the running sets it off, but I can't distinguish between what other activities inflame the problem.) They've stopped my physical therapy too, because that apparently isn't really helping. I'm supposed to check back in with my physical therapist in a month. They said this thing could take months to heal. So, I'm happy that it wasn't anything more serious, but I'm a little bummed that there isn't something that can be done to directly deal with the problem other than "rest."
So, that's the deal. At least I finally know what's going on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home